Professor AlRegib is currently a professor in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He is the director of the Multimedia and Sensors Lab (MSL) at Georgia Tech. In 2012, he was named the director of Georgia Tech’s Center for Energy and Geo Processing (CeGP). He is a faculty member of the Center for Signal and Information Processing (CSIP). He also serves as the director of Georgia Tech’s initiatives and programs in MENA. He has authored and co-authored more than 170 articles in international journals and conference proceedings. He has been issued several U.S. patents and invention disclosures. He is a Senior Member of the IEEE.
Professor AlRegib received the ECE Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award in 2001 and both the CSIP Research and the CSIP Service Awards in 2003. In 2008, he received the ECE Outstanding Junior Faculty Member Award. In 2017, he received the 2017 Denning Faculty Award for Global Engagement.
Professor AlRegib has participated in many service activities. He is an area chair for ICME 2016/17 and the tutorial chair for ICIP 2016. He is a voted member of the IEEE SPS Technical Committees on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP) and Image, Video, and Multidimensional Signal Processing (IVMSP). He was a member of the editorial board of the Wireless Networks Journal (WiNET), 2009-2016 and the IEEE Transaction on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (CSVT), 2014-2016. Currently, he is a member of the the editorial board of the Elsevier journal Signal Processing: Image Communications, 2015-present. He served as the chair of the Special Sessions Program at ICIP’06; the area editor for Columns and Forums in the IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (SPM), 2009–12; the associate editor for IEEE SPM, 2007-09; the tutorials co-chair in ICIP’09; a guest editor for IEEE J-STSP, 2012; a track chair in ICME’11; the co-chair of the IEEE MMTC Interest Group on 3D Rendering, Processing, and Communications, 2010-12; the chair of the Speech and Video Processing Track at Asilomar 2012; and the technical program co-chair of IEEE GlobalSIP, 2014. He is leading a team that is organizing the IEEE VIP Cup, 2017.
His research group, which consists of more than 20 students and researchers, is working on projects related to machine learning, image and video processing, image and video understanding, seismic imaging, perception in visual data processing, healthcare intelligence, and video analytics.
Professor AlRegib has provided services and consultation to several firms, companies, and international educational and R&D organizations. He has been a expert witness in a number of patent infringement cases.
- Machine Learning
- Image and Video Processing
- Computer Vision
- Scene Understanding
- Computational Interpretation
- Learning in the Wild
- Machine Learning for Energy
- Learning for Autonomous Vehicles
- Received the 2017 Steven A. Denning Faculty Award for Global Engagement
- Hosting the 2017 IEEE VIP cup
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Member Award, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
- Area Editor, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 2008-2012
- Senior Member, IEEE, 2010
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2000-2003
- Center for Signal and Image Processing (CSIP) Outstanding Research Award, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Spring 2003
- Center for Signal and Image Processing (CSIP) Outstanding Service Award, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Spring 2003