DSP Software Systems Design
CMPE Degree: This course is Not Applicable for the CMPE degree.
EE Degree: This course is Not Applicable for the EE degree.
Lab Hours: 0 supervised lab hours and 0 unsupervised lab hours.
Prerequisites: ECE 4270
Catalog DescriptionSpecification, evaluation, and implementation of realtime DSP applications
on embedded DSP-based environments.
Student OutcomesIn the parentheses for each Student Outcome:
"P" for primary indicates the outcome is a major focus of the entire course.
“M” for moderate indicates the outcome is the focus of at least one component of the course, but not majority of course material.
“LN” for “little to none” indicates that the course does not contribute significantly to this outcome.
1. ( Not Applicable ) An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
2. ( Not Applicable ) An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
3. ( Not Applicable ) An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
4. ( Not Applicable ) An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
5. ( Not Applicable ) An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
6. ( Not Applicable ) An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
7. ( Not Applicable ) An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Strategic Performance Indicators (SPIs)
[9 hrs] Specification of DSP algorithms and processors
Programming models and virtual machines
Graphical specification and requirements capture
Textual specification and requirements capture
Compilation and execution environments
Fixed point and floating point issues
[9 hrs] Software architecture for DSP boards and systems
Real-time operating systems
[9 hrs] DSP program framework and API
Real-time program architecture
Operating system dependencies
Application modules and libraries
Implementation of virtual machines
[9 hrs] Virtual prototyping of DSP applications: Examples
Single processor implementations
Code development and debugging
[6 hrs] DSP Application Demonstrations
Sample implementations - equalizers, coders.
Performance measurement and optimization
[3 hrs] Exams