Professor Scott was born in Calhoun, GA. He received the B.E.E., M.S.E.E., and Ph.D. degrees from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1980, 1982, and 1985, respectively.
He joined the Georgia Tech faculty in 1986 where he teaches and performs research in the area of applied electromagnetics and acoustics. As part of the teaching, he is interested in using computers to enhance the learning experience of students and has developed computer based visualization tools and animations to help students understand some of the more difficult aspects of electromagnetics.
- Methods for detecting buried objects using both electromagnetic and acoustic waves
- Measurement of the electromagnetic and mechanical properties of materials
- Transient fields
- Numerical methods including the finite element and the finite-difference time-domain techniques
- Elevated to IEEE Fellow in 2008 with the citation "for contributions to the detection of buried targets using ground penetrating radar"
- 2013 EURASIP best paper award for the best paper published in the Signal Processing Journal
- 2001 Symposium Prize Paper Award for the best paper presented at the IEEE 2001 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium
- 1986 Andrew Chi Prize Paper Award for the best paper published in the IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement
- Co-authored four other papers that won student best paper awards
- Registered Professional Engineer in Georgia
Schroeder, C., Scott, W.R., Jr., and Larson, G.D., "Elastic Waves Interaction with Buried Land Mines: a Study Using the FDTD Model," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 40 No. 6, pp. 1405-1415, June 2002
Schroeder, C., and Scott, W.R., Jr., "On the Stability of the FDTD Algorithm for Elastic Media at Material Interfaces," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.: 40 No. 2, pp. 474 -481, Feb 2002.
Schroeder, C., and Scott, W.R., Jr., "On the Complex Conjugate Roots of the Rayleigh Equation: the Leaky Surface Wave," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 110, No. 6, December 2001.
Scott, W.R., Jr., Martin, J.S, and Larson, G.D, "Experimental Model for a Seismic Landmine Detection System," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 39, pp. 1155-1164, July 2001.
Schroeder, C.T. and Scott, W.R., Jr., "A Finite-Difference Model for Elastic Waves in the Ground," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 1505-1512, July 2000.
W.R. Humbert, Waymond R. Scott, Jr.: "A Resonant Technique to Measure the Dielectric Properties of Planar Materials," Proceedings of the 1997 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, pp. 2316-2319, 1997.
W.R. Humbert, Waymond R. Scott, Jr.: "Measurement of the Permittivity and Loss Tangent of Dielectric Sheets," IEEE Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 15, no. 6, 1997.
Waymond R. Scott, Jr., G.S. Warren: "Numerical Dispersion of Higher-Order Nodal Elements in the Finite-Element Method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 317-320, 1996.
Waymond R. Scott, Jr., G.S. Warren: "Numerical Dispersion in the Finite-Element Method Using Triangular Edge Elements," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 315-319, 1995.
Last revised August 31, 2020