Dr. Yang Wang joined Georgia Tech in 2007. He is currently an adjunct professor with ECE and a professor with Civil and Environmental Engineering at Georgia Tech. In 2007, Dr. Wang received a Ph.D. degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering and an M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University. His B.S. and M.S. degrees, both in Civil Engineering, are from Tsinghua University in Beijing, China.
Dr. Wang’s research is dedicated to exploring state-of-the-art sensing, control, and information technologies for the development of future smart structural systems. His work encompasses structural sensing, identification, monitoring, and control. Dr. Wang received an NSF Early Faculty Career Development (CAREER) Award in 2012 and a Young Investigator Award from the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) in 2013. Since 2011, he has served as an associate editor for the ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering. Dr. Wang also served as guest editor for special issues at IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics and the International Journal of Intelligent Robotics and Applications.
- Wireless and mobile sensors for structures
- System identification and model updating
- Estimation and filtering
- Feedback vibration control
- The Achenbach Medal at the 11th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (2017)
- Air Force Research Lab Summer Faculty Fellowship Program (SFFP) Award (2017)
- AFOSR (Air Force Office of Scientific Research) Young Investigator Award (2013)
- NSF Early Faculty Career Development (CAREER) Award (2012)
- IEEE-IMS (Instrumentation and Measurement Society) Faculty Course Development Award (2012)
- Most Practical SHM Solution for Civil Infrastructures in the SHM-in-Action competition at the 8th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (2011)
Zhu, D., Dong, X., and Wang, Y. (2016). "Substructure stiffness and mass updating through minimization of modal dynamic residuals." Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 142(5): 04016013.
Yi, X., Cho, C., Cooper, J., Wang, Y., Tentzeris, M. M., and Leon, R. T. (2013). "Passive wireless antenna sensor for strain and crack sensing-electromagnetic modeling, simulation, and testing," Smart Materials and Structures, 22(8): 085009.
Zhu, D., Guo, J., Cho, C., Wang, Y. and Lee, K.M. (2012). "Wireless mobile sensor network for the system identification of a space frame bridge," Mechatronics, IEEE/ASME Transactions on, 17(3): 499-507.
Wang, Y. (2011). "Time-delayed dynamic output feedback H∞ controller design for civil structures: a decentralized approach through homotopic transformation," Structural Control and Health Monitoring, 18(2): 121-139.
Zhu, D., Yi, X., Wang, Y., Lee, K.-M., and Guo, J. (2010). "A mobile sensing system for structural health monitoring: design and validation," Smart Materials and Structures, 19(5): 055011.
Wang, Y., Lynch, J.P. and Law, K.H. (2007). "A wireless structural health monitoring system with multithreaded sensing devices: design and validation," Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 3(2): 103-120.
Last revised February 2, 2023